Lists

12 Nov 2011

Rune for thought.

A post or so back in the rockbot update my friend Marcel mentioned about looking into runes for their decor. After he'd mentioned it I had a flick through various alphabets and things, and thought I would spend a couple of hours fixing up my own for fun. So I decided to post them up. I was looking to create something that could actually be read reasonably easy, but still looked very foreign. I actually remembered that number code from the episode of The Simpsons where Lisa couldn't work out that the numbers were mirrored and I pulled inspiration from that. So I halved the alphabet and combined that with the similar principles from this Korean alphabet chart to create a language in runes. After creating the basic foundation for it, I pulled inspiration from Japanese calliagraphy, particularly the Gyosho style of calligraphy, which deforms the characters either to create more pleasing compositions or for the sake of efficient writing. I wrote these out by hand in a chunky marker and scanned them in as it felt more authentic that way.

I liked the idea of taking something existing, and manipulating it to create something new, but understandable. The potential for the type to actually be read/understood either for eastereggs or just pre-production fun ( I do enjoy it when studios/companies throw in little injokes into their work) or whether it could be utilised to work as clues for gameplay or storytelling is also something of a bonus.
It's construction rules, also mean others can take the principles and characters and create their own sentences with meaning and still retain a consistent aesthetic. 

Enjoy.









No comments:

Post a Comment